shared library problem/loading pam module

Here is the problem:

 I have a JAVA program which calls the authentication module of pam via a
 native library and I create a service for this in pam.conf and specified
 the module name as pam_unix.so for both authentication and account management.
 This returns a PAM module not found error (error number 28).

 I have a test program written in 'C' using the same native code (JNI) and that
 perfectly works.

 I think the problem could be in dlopen() of that shared library.  How do I
 debug this and what could be the problem?.  Any help in this regard will be
 very useful.

 I am running on Redhat linux, version 2.2.16-22.

 Here is the sample pam.conf file

 myserv	auth	required	pam_unix.so
 myserv account required	pam_unix.so

 Thanks,