Re: Porting pam to Solaris, HP-UX, others

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Michael Gerdts wrote:

> Now that I am aware of Linux-pam on sourceforge, I would like shift my port
> of pam_access from being a quick and dirty patch against a redhat package
> to being something that is well integrated with Linux-pam.
>
> Currently the configure.in script is a bit messy on the OS-specific
> detection.  For example, it assumes that if you are using gcc, you are also
> using gnu ld.  For me this is not the case on Solaris, and (I think) that
> gnu ld is not even supported on HP-UX.
>
> Has anyone done work on porting to other OS's that is not in the head CVS
> branch?  Does anyone have interest in having me do (or not do) some cleanup
> as time allows?

Some months ago I did quite a lot of work in trying to get some of the
modules working on Solaris.  These fixes covered a variety of categories
including bugs, Solaris fixes, autoconf, and things such as gcc vs. Sun-C
and GNU vs. Sun ld stuff.

I tried to report some of these back.  Of those, some were included in the
CVS branch "Linux-PAM-0-72-autoconf".  But not all were either reported or
included there, because Andrew was cautious (understandably) about doing
too much at one go.

But from my perspective, the feedback loop for reporting possible fixes
and enhancements was somewhat erratic, and I confess to giving up for the
time being.

I had some fairly significant fixes, and enhancements, for pam_cracklib
which didn't get included.

So if there is interest again in making Linux-PAM more widely available to
non-Linux systems (envisage it as "Open-PAM"), I will happily try to
reawaken my contributions as part of such a group.  Is there a realistic
chance that such development can happen?

But where do we start?  There seems to be a large number of CVS branches:
   MAIN
   Linux-PAM-0-73pre-autoconf
   Linux-PAM-0-73
   Linux-PAM-0-72-autoconf
   Linux-PAM-0-72
   HEAD
   autoconf-modules

Bewildering to the relative outsider!  (Can any be removed?)

Andrew:  Could you indicate, please, perhaps both here and within the
sourceforge CVS repository:

o  What is the current "production" branch?

o  Which branch should we use as the baseline for submitting bugfixes,
   portability changes etc.?

o  What "classes" of fixes are you looking for?

o  How we should discuss them and submit them?

Thanks.