pam_console in xserver leads to: "user dumas not a console user"

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 05:50:24PM +0200, Patrice DUMAS - DOCT wrote:
> > The error indicates that you don't have the console lock.  Are there
> > other users logged in at the same time on other VTs?  What are the
> > contents of /var/run/console.lock before you run 'startx'?
>
> There is only one user on the workstation (me) and I am root, too.
>
> /var/run/console.lock contains the user name, after I login on a tty:
>
> [root@hermes dumas]# cat /var/run/console.lock
> dumas
>
> > What are the contents of /etc/pam.d/login?  The default as shipped
> > should include a call to pam_console to obtain the lock if possible:
> > session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
>
> I think the lock is obtained. Permissions on a lot of files is allready taken
> by the user dumas (tty2, tty7, fd0, everything in console.perms).
[snip]

Your configuration files look correct to me.  The only thing that springs
to mind is that somehow the process performing the authentication can't
read the contents of the lock because it doesn't have enough privileges.
The server should be setuid root (it drops privileges shortly after
performing the checks), but that might have been changed somehow.

Please run 'rpm -V pam XFree86' and see if it complains about
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 in any way.

Nalin