p2patent development status update

Hi everyone,

Here is an update on system development for Peer to Patent. On March 12 we presented a demonstration of the system to our Steering Committee and received early feedback on the system design which included suggested changes to the application logic and work flow. We have now implemented those changes and are gearing up towards making the system available for testing and feedback. Our release date for the production system has moved to early June.

Here is the current rollout plan:

April 2 -- Beta testing - limited scope.  (DONE)
April 2 -- Pre-registration site for reviewers available online (DONE)
April 10 -- Beta testing - expanded scope
April 16 -- p2pdevelopers list members can join testing
Early June -- Public Launch -- General Availability

These dates are approximate. The good news news is that we are planning expand testing on April 16 so that the members of this mailing list can get a chance to look at the system design and provide feedback and suggestions.  We will also provide a mechanism that allows you to provide feedback for any bugs, feature requests, et cetera.  So we're looking forward to this next step. There are plenty of areas for improvement and so feedback will help us to make this project a success.

The primary changes to the application use cases requested on March 12 can be summarized as follows:

(1) In Submit Prior Art,  after the user selects the claims, we will allow the user to specify the relevance of the prior art FOR EACH SELECTED CLAIM and to indicate whether ALL, SOME, or NONE of the elements of the claim are covered in the prior art.  This change directs the user to explain how their prior art addresses each claim. The ALL/SOME/NONE scheme gives them a way to share their knowledge about the extent of coverage for the elements, or parts, of the claim.

(2) The mechanism for providing commentary on prior art has been changed as follows. We have removed the threaded discussion area and replaced it with a mechanism that allows each registered user to provide a single comment.  The top ten applications will be forwarded to the patent examiner along with all the provided comments. Users can still have threaded discussions for each patent application, but that threaded discussion will not be forwarded to the examiner.

Eric Hestenes
Technical Lead
NYLS Community Patent Review project
eric.hestenes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx