[p2patent-developer] Digg / Slashdot as P2P platform?

On 30/10/2006, at 3:56 PM, Eric Hestenes wrote:
> It would be interesting to hear if anyone in the developer
> community has ideas or thoughts on this subject.

One idea I have, is for sites such as patent database providers (I
work at CAMBIA, which provides a free full text patent search -
http://www.patentlens.net/) to collect comments and peer reviews of
patents and then share/publish these "comments" with any other
interested parties (other patent informatics sites, etc) via a
centrally administered web services server (OSDL?).

So, instead of relying on a single site to be the point of contact
for submission of patent reviews and prior art, etc, many sites, with
different user foci, could contribute to the effort. Bloggers could
incorporate the web service just as easily as patent database providers.

For this to work, the web services schema would have to be flexible
enough to allow comments from a range of user perspectives (software
patents, life science patents, engineering patents, etc), while still
enforcing a degree of strictness necessary for proper prior art
documentation. We have ideas about also gathering information that
falls outside the specs of the P2P project, such as users sharing
information on licensing of particular patents as well as general
comments about the technical issues relating to the practice a given
patented invention.

It has the drawback adding complexity and thus slowing the process.
If too many players try to influence the schema/functionality then it
could degrade into a lowest common denominator spec that is
impractical to actually implement.

It would be up to each site as to how to collect and display this
data. However I would expect there to be a collaboratively developed
prototype web client that could be used as a starting point as well
as providing a way for bug fixes to be shared.

This would not be limited to patent database sites as it is now
fairly easy to access the EPO OPS web service (http://
ops.espacenet.com/) to GET patent data for a given patent number
(their DocDB database has all jurisdictions: front page data, family
data and legal status) using a SOAP client. The above mentioned web
service could even provide this data itself!

Another idea is for the comment collection and publishing to come
from a single source but for other sites to be able to provide access
to this service via a simple iframe. The iframe would display
existing comments for that patent (by passing a patent doc ID) and
would also allow the user to add comments to that patent. There may
be technical problems with this idea due to authentication, etc. and
its really only an idea off the top of my head right now.

Anyway, thats my Monday morning babble... I hope it makes sense.

Nick
----
Nick dos Remedios, PhD
CAMBIA