[p2patent-developer] Digg / Slashdot as P2P platform?

"I don't know the whole problem domain in P2P but I'm wondering why
we couldn't start by using a very robust existing system and perhaps
make smaller adaptions to fit our needs - rather than building
something from scratch?"

Absolutely! I see no reason to build a custom CMS (content management
system) for this project.  This would greatly increase up-front
development costs and would be an unnecessary yoke on the project as
we would be responsible for developing all site features alone.  And
it would be completely unnecessary, we would gain no additional
flexibility by doing this, only forfeit functionality and support.

I also agree with you that the Digg.com website has many of the
features that we would like to see in the P2P project, and I think we
have a lot to learn from them in terms of how to build a highly
usable and fun community experience.  They've put an awful lot of
thought into their interface and design and it shows.

That said, I am pessimistic about trying to use their code base
directly for this project.  Even if we could obtain it, unless it
almost exactly met our needs out-of-box now and into the future it
wouldn't make sense to use for these reasons:

Functionality: From a design and usability perspective Digg.com is
stellar.  From a technology perspective Digg.com is not very
interesting.  Open source platforms such as Drupal can recreate 90%
or more of the functionality currently seen on Digg.com out-of-box,
and offer much more beyond that.  While digg.com is afforded the
features that are developed by the ~6 or so full time employees of
the companies, communities like Drupal benefit from the literally
hundreds of community code contributors.

Flexibility: Building your site on technology provided by a partner
which considers providing that technology as a secondary business is
overly risky.
- Support: For a startup like Digg, getting bogged down supporting a
non-paying partner will be very tough to deal with. Digg will have
limited resources and will naturally have to prioritize what they
concentrate on.  When push comes to shove primary business will come
first and secondary will be supported as time permits.
- Contingency:  The risk of Digg as a company going out of business
and taking their back-end technology with them are far greater than
that of an established technology vendor or open-source product.
- Technology: The Digg back end technology was developed primarily to
meet the business needs of Digg, it was not developed as a reusable
platform.  This will drive up costs for you for customization and
feature development compared to platform technologies built to be
used by others.

TCO: A maxim of IT managers everywhere is 'the cost is not what you
pay for up front it's what you pay over time'.  The pace of
technology evolution and the adaptive requirements of technology
owners usually generates  greater 'hidden' costs than the price tag
purchasers are quoted upfront.  In all likely hood the cost of
acquiring and setting up the Digg.com codebase would be far out-
weighed by additional costs in building out the P2P web site over
time.  This means that the real technology investment question is not
"what gets us from A to B cheapest and easiest" but "how much is this
going to cost for the life-cycle of the project?".   I am sure that
the costs incurred by the inflexibility of the Digg.com code-base
over time will be far greater than the costs to implement the P2P on
a reusable open-source platform like Drupal.

-Zack