  Thanks
  Eric Hestenes
  Technical Lead
  eric.hestenes at communitypatent.org

  ==================================

  Use Case:
  http://www.communitypatent.org/use_cases/use_case_7_submit_prior_art/index.html

  Current Thinking:
  http://tinyurl.com/ybqhst
  or
  http://tools.dotank.nyls.edu/wiki/index.php?title=Peer_2_Patent/developer/use_cases_discussion/uc7_submit_prior_art

Steve Midgley <public at misuse.org> wrote:
  Hi,

I've been thinking about the platform decisions for P2P a little and am
wondering why this system doesn't just run on top of an existing tool
that does basically the same thing? Digg and Slashdot are essentially
P2P-like in their functionality. Slashdot's code is open source and
available (though ugly). Possibly Digg could be convinced to licensed
use for this specific project (esp. b/c Omidyar supports P2P and
Digg)..

Here's my rationale (I'll use Digg because I think it's a slightly
closer fit - Slashdot is roughly equiv..) In Digg, contributors post
articles w/links and classify them within topics. Readers can subscribe
(RSS) to articles according to topics. Within a topic, users can post
comments & links. The value of the comments themselves are also rated
by other users using a simple interface. Users themselves can be
tracked by the value of their overall contributions. Comments can be
"masked" to only allow the most highly rates comments to be seen - they
can also be sorted by their rating..

In the P2P world, contributors would be patent holders who publish
their work for community review. Readers would be domain experts who
self assign to topics and get notified when new patents are posted.
Comments would be expert review and discussion. Experts can rate other
comments.

I don't know the whole problem domain in P2P but I'm wondering why we
couldn't start by using a very robust existing system and perhaps make
smaller adaptions to fit our needs - rather than building something
from scratch?

Any input?

Best,

Steve