Re: Openssl-3.2.1 - Building for Tru64

Mark Butt <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Good Day!
>
> I am trying to build openssl-3.2.1 for an AlphaServer 4100 running
> Tru64 5.1b-6 as part of a side project that I am working on.  I
> noticed that Tru64 is still in the list of build combos.
> I issued the following command:
> ./config tru64-alpha-cc
> No errors, everything went fine.

Your output snippets for the 'make' attempts are unfortunately not
enough.  Most of them only tell us that make detected that an error has
occured, but the actual error details are not present.  Also, some of
your output shows you used parallel make (-j), which is great for rapid
builds, but not very good at all for finding the sequence of errors.

Michael Wojcik proposed this command:

    make 2>&1 | tee make.out

Then you can figure out what's going on by reading (and quoting from)
make.out.

> Next I issued make.  After a while, an error is encountered [section
> A] noted below.  I think the interesting part is -> ar: Error:
> crypto/bn/libcrypto-lib-alpha-mont.o cannot open <- I can confirm that
> this is file is not present anywhere on the server, but the .S is.

Okie.
crypto/bn/alpha-mont.S is generated with crypto/bn/asn/alpha-mon.pl, so
at least that part of the build seems to have worked.  The question is
why crypto/bn/alpha-mont.S wasn't compiled.  You might be able to find
out what's happening with it from make.out (mentioned above).

> Out of curiosity, I tried openssl-1.1.1w, it fails for the same
> reason, but the path and error are slightly different.

Okie, so probably the same problem, crypto/bn/alpha-mont.S isn't
compiled for an unknown reason.

As a matter of fact, albeit your outputs don't show them, I suspect
all build errors are compilation issues, in various files.  Again, run
the command given above, study make.out, and give us quotes from it that
should the actual compilation issues.

Cheers,
Richard

--