Re: Debian openssh option review: considering splitting out GSS-API key exchange

Damien Miller wrote:
> Another thing we're considering in OpenSSH is changing how we integrate
> with PAM. PAM's API demands loading modules into the authenticating
> process' address space, but obviously we've just been reminded that this
> is risky.

This was a long-standing problem with pam/nss-ldap, which we solved by moving all of the
actual libldap invocations to a separate nslcd process, and only communicated to it
across a unix domain socket via stubs in the pam/nss modules. Mixing instances of libraries
that applications call directly, with instances loaded implicitly by system-level mechanisms,
was always a bad idea and caused endless problems, even without malicious attackers.

> I think that I would prefer to move to a model where there PAM auth and
> account modules run in a helper process, and only the session module
> runs in the unprivileged post-auth sshd process.

We could probably generalize the stub wrapping that we used for nss/pam-ldapd / nslcd to
be a generic interface to a standalone pamd that actually loads the pam modules. Should
be a simple job.

--
  -- Howard Chu