Re: Debian openssh option review: considering splitting out GSS-API key exchange

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Colin Watson wrote:

[I'm not subscribed to the debian-* lists, please Cc me in replies if
you want me to see them]

> [I've CCed openssh-unix-dev for awareness, but set Mail-Followup-To to
> just debian-devel and debian-ssh to avoid potentially spamming them
> with a long discussion. If you choose to override this then that's
> your call, but please be mindful of upstream's time.]

Thanks Colin for considering how to reduce dependency chains for sshd.
I just remembered that this is not the first time that sshd has been
attacked via a transitive library dependency - it has happened before,
about 10 years ago:

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/02/21/an-in-depth-analysis-of-linuxebury/

Attacks like these are impossible for sshd to defend against itself.
Instead we have to look to minimising the number of libraries that end
up in sshd's address space, especially that of the privileged sshd
process.

We are currently exploring splitting sshd into separate binaries for
the listener, privileged monitor, pre- and post-auth network-facing
processes so that each can be reduced in size and functionality to
the minimum possible. This should remove a number of dependencies from
the privileged process. There's a draft of these changes at
https://github.com/djmdjm/openssh-wip/pull/26 but it's OpenBSD-only
at this stage. We're likely to proceed with splitting the listener
process from the rest of sshd hopefully before the next release.

Another thing we're considering in OpenSSH is changing how we integrate
with PAM. PAM's API demands loading modules into the authenticating
process' address space, but obviously we've just been reminded that this
is risky.

I think that I would prefer to move to a model where there PAM auth and
account modules run in a helper process, and only the session module
runs in the unprivileged post-auth sshd process.

This means that PAM auth/account modules and their transitive library
dependencies cannot affect the sshd address space. They would still
likely need to run with privilege, could still fail permissively in
unwanted situations and might still be able to cause problems directly
(e.g. opening a reverse shell from the PAM module itself), but they
would no longer have direct access to the contents of sshd network
traffic, signatures, etc that are extremely useful in building NOBUS
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOBUS) backdoors like the xv one.

Where this gets challenging is that some PAM modules make assumptions
that the auth, account and session modules all run in the same address
space. These would break until re-architected to pass things explicitly,
e.g. via environment variables, temp files, etc.

Time permitting, I'll get a prototype of these changes made for wider
experimentation.

-d