Re: "Bad packet length 1231976033"

> On Apr 24, 2023, at 6:29 PM, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 24, 2023, at 6:22 PM, Darren Tucker <dtucker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Forgot to ask: does this bug manifest at any particular time, or just connection initiation?
>>> Because I can see it happen on a connection that's been up for days... either idle or experiencing heavy traffic... etc.
>>
>> Only at connection initiation, and only when the client is an old
>> version of PuTTY that doesn't support the modern form of the
>> diffie-hellman group exchange protocol.
>>

> Okay.  I'm using Openssh 9.1p1 between Ubuntu and OpenWrt, or Openssh 9.0p1 on MacOS 13.3.1.

Huh.  This is interesting.

When I moved my KVM *host* OS for my guest VM's (including Ubuntu and OpenWrt) from CentOS 7.9 to RHEL 9.1, the problem seems to have gone away, though not RCA available.

My guess is that the host network drivers were corrupting certain packets, though... I was using SR-IOV so there should have been very little manipulation of the ring-buffers by the host OS, other than stripping the VLAN headers off of them (since the VLAN headers were apparent to the host's hostdev-net interface, but the guest was unaware of them).

-Philip