Re: speed, CPU

On Sat, 2019-12-28 at 22:53 +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> Hi openconnect,
>
> I have a question regarding CPU usage, network speed and openconnect.
>
> I'm using openconnect from Debian (Debian package version 8.02-1)
> connecting to a Cisco AnyConnect. I'm using NetworkManager but I'm happy
> to use the command line if this would help.

A few months ago we had a similar thread, and some performance
improvements went into the 8.03 release. Please could you update to git
master and try?

There's also an experimental perfhacks branch:
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/openconnect.git/shortlog/refs/heads/perfhacks

Most of that is for ESP support, not DTLS, but the 'reuse packets
instead of free/malloc' bought us a few percent and I'd like to
eventually fix up all the buffer sizing inconsistencies and merge it
(or just move to using rings).

> I see that openconnect uses about 35 to 40% of CPU (measured with top)
> in my 4 cores laptop.
>
> When using openconnect the connection is about 5 to 8 MB/s otherwise
> more than twice this speed.
>
> The system administrators on the other side don't seem to be aware of
> any speed limitation or throttling.
>
> The internet connection or even the upload speed to the other side is
> higher if no OpenConnect is used.
>
> My question is: do you know of any way to make the VPN faster?
>
> Any experience compiling openconnect (I might try this anyway) instead
> of using the Debian precompiled version? Any parameters that could be
> used, faster cyphering, etc.?

You can try forcing it to use different ciphers with the --dtls-ciphers
option.

Please could you set it running, then use 'perf record -a netperf....'
to record the *full* system activity (including kernel and openconnect)
for each of a large upload, and a large download. Use your own existing
benchmark or workload if that's easier than netperf.

Let's see where it's actually spending the time, and what we can do
about it.