Re: VPN seems to connect but fails to get a response from the peer

On Mon, 2019-12-16 at 15:08 -0500, Adam Allgood wrote:
> Hi again David,
>
> I am currently in the office where the procedure to connect to the VPN
> is slightly different (because the head end is on the same network as
> the VPN gateway), so I'm going to wait until I'm home again before
> doing the --dump-http-traffic tests. However, after thinking more
> about the problem, I realized something interesting. When on xubuntu
> at home and connecting to the VPN for the first time, I get a warning
> on the command line that the certificate has problems, and I can enter
> 'yes' to add an exception and continue the connection. I never got
> this warning in the crouton chroot. I tried connecting to the VPN in a
> fresh Ubuntu chroot with the --servercert XXXXX option, and got the
> following:
>
> Server certificate verify failed: signer not found
> Server SSL certificate didn't match: sha256:[LALALACANTHEARYOU]
> SSL connection failure: Error in the certificate.

Perhaps the server is in a round-robin DNS and you really are getting
different servers (hence difference certificate fingerprints) every
time. You'd do better to *fix* the certificate problem. Can't you
install the appropriate SSL CA so that they're properly trusted?

> Unlike examples of that option I found on the Internet, openconnect
> did not suggest that I use that fingerprint to connect. Nevertheless,
> I tried connecting with sudo openconnect -v --servercert
> sha256:[LALALACANTHEARYOU] [etc], and saw these lines several times in
> the output:
>
> SSL negotiation with noaaguestvpn.ncep.noaa.gov
> Server certificate verify failed: signer not found
> Connected to HTTPS on noaaguestvpn.ncep.noaa.gov

Right. If the verification fails, it still reports that but if you have
the *matching* --servercert fingerprint on the command line then it'll
make an exception and allow the connection to continue anyway.

> The SSH connection to the head end seemed successfully made, but
> again, no traffic whatsoever in the tunnel. I wonder if ChromeOS
> upgraded security in v77, and that is doing something to block the
> traffic. Is there a way through openconnect (or in general) to work
> around this?

Or maybe it's something going wrong with the routing setup. Maybe your
*outbound* packets aren't actually reaching the VPN server? Or the
inbound packets on the public network are being firewalled locally and
not reaching openconnect?

Can you get a packet capture on your local network to correlate with a
DTLS send/receive debug log like the ones you showed before? And can
you show the output of 'ip route' before and after connecting?