Re: VPN seems to connect but fails to get a response from the peer

On Tue, 2019-11-05 at 13:32 -0600, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM Adam Allgood <avram.meir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello again Dan, sorry for the delayed response.
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 2:46 PM Daniel Lenski <dlenski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting. Even in your more verbose log, it appears that
> > > OpenConnect is totally and entirely failing to receive any response
> > > over the DTLS channel… except for the MTU DPD probe at the beginning.
> > >
> > > This is why I suggest upgrading to a more recent version in which
> > > David Woodhouse has made the DTLS MTU detection much more robust and…
> > >

> > I updated to:
> >
> > OpenConnect version v8.05
> > Using GnuTLS. Features present: PKCS#11, HOTP software token, TOTP
> > software token, System keys, DTLS, ESP
> > Supported protocols: anyconnect (default), nc, gp, pulse
> >
> > Unfortunately I appear to be having the same problems.
>
> I'm kind of stumped here.
>
> It appears that the symptoms with DTLS enabled, and without DTLS, are
> pretty much identical: you receive *no incoming packets* from the VPN
> tunnel of any kind. Not even DPD responses.
>
> That suggests this is an issue with the basic protocol used by the
> client and server to communicate with each other, and not something at
> the network level (say, a misconfigured firewall).
>
> You mentioned that other users with *older* versions of OpenConnect
> can successfully connect and send traffic…? Exactly which versions of
> OpenConnect, and which OSes are they using? Can you test if your
> account works on one of their laptops?

Hm, try --no-xmlpost maybe? Although that would be *very* old...

> If we can figure this out by determining what the older clients are
> doing to successfully connect, great. If not, we'll probably need a
> MITM dump to figure out what's new/different about your VPN.

I think we've seen other reports of a privacy notice or something which
needs accepting before you can actually pass traffic. Seems like you're
on a captive portal when you join the VPN, until you accept the terms.

A MITM capture from an actual AnyConnect client would be very
enlightening. Or if MITM is hard, the full log with --dump-http-traffic
as OpenConnect connects, and then we can point an AnyConnect client at
an ocserv server hacked to present the same stimuli.