Re: VPN seems to connect but fails to get a response from the peer

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 9:19 AM Adam Allgood <avram.meir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Questions:
> > - What additional details do you get if you run with `-vvv --dump`?
> > (much more verbose logging)
>
> I won't overwhelm the mailing list with the full contents of the file,
> but here is a snippet that may be helpful:

Interesting. Even in your more verbose log, it appears that
OpenConnect is totally and entirely failing to receive any response
over the DTLS channel… except for the MTU DPD probe at the beginning.

This is why I suggest upgrading to a more recent version in which
David Woodhouse has made the DTLS MTU detection much more robust and…

> > - Does --no-dtls make any difference?
>
> It does not seem to make any difference.

… and also I'm quite surprised that --no-dtls does not make a
difference. This option makes OpenConnect communicate entirely over
the HTTPS/TLS channel which is already used for authentication, and
not try to open a DTLS channel at all.

You're *sure* it makes no difference? No ability to receive any
packets the VPN server over the TLS channel? No additional clues in
the log with `--no-dtls -vvv --dump`?

> I tried building OpenConnect from a zipped tarball on the FTP site,
> but I got errors from make that there was no intall targets. Can you
> recommend a good step-by-step install guide? And based on the logging
> info above, do you still think the newer version may be helpful?

Since you're on Ubuntu, take a look at
https://github.com/dlenski/openconnect#building-from-source-on-linux
(Note that my “fork” is obsolete now that GlobalProtect support has
been merged back into the mainline, but the same build dependencies
should work with the official OpenConnect v8.05.)

Thanks,
Dan