Re: Hide the presence of VPN

I don't think anyone outside the Chinese government knows exactly how
the Great Firewall blocks VPNs, but deep packet inspection alone
doesn't get very far with secure end-to-end encryption as used by any
competent VPN protocol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN_blocking#China

I believe what the Great Firewall is doing is basically assigning
scores to TLS connections to assess the likelihood that it's a VPN or
some other anti-censorship connections. How do they do the scoring?

- known VPN gateway IPs
- connection duration
- packet timing distribution
- packet size distribution
- TLS implementation fingerprinting (ciphersuite choice, TLS flags,
etc. can distinguish common VPN clients like Cisco AnyConnect from
general-purpose HTTPS browsers like Chrome)

… and then the GFW injects persistent blocking/interference between
the endpoints if the score is high enough. Similar for SSH.

Dan