OpenConnect VPN connection always fails after a few hours of successfull usage

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 1:36 AM,  <scrap at mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> thanks once again for your kind help! :-)
>
>> Are you actually *using* the VPN continuously, and it just cuts off
>> suddenly with no warning? Or is it going idle, and then you notice
>> that it's disconnected when you go and try to use it again later?
>
> Actually I'm connecting to the VPN, using it for a few minutes and after
> finishing my work I switch off my computer. When rebooting the computer
> some minutes later the VPN will still work fine. Only if the intercostal
> break lasts longer (e.g. for a few hours) I am not able anymore to
> connect it again with the same cookie.
>
>> NetworkManager can reconnect *using the same
>> cookie* after a period where Connman cannot?
>
> I am not sure if NetworkManager uses the same cookie for later
> reconnects. My speculation is more in that way that NetworkManager is
> able to create new cookies by himself. When using the same VPN tunnel
> with NetworkManager I never had problems to reconnect it, independent of
> the duration of non-usage.
>
> Two more questions are:
>
> 1. Is there any option to force Connman to renew the cookie by himself?
> Or could I create a regular cronjob that runs the OpenConnect-script,
> creates the new cookie and pastes it into
> /var/lib/connman-vpn/vpnname.config?

I'm not sure that I fully understand your setup. I don't use Connman
myself, and rarely use Networkmanager.

When NetworkManager disconnects, it *will not* initiate a new
connection (new cookie) using previously-entered credentials without
user input, but if the underlying openconnect library can reconnect
(using the same cookie), it will

> 2. Currently I am using the following OpenConnect command to generate
> the cookie:
>
> openconnect --csd-wrapper=/home/user/.cisco/csd-wrapper.sh
> --authenticate --user=<username> <VPN-host>
>
> Is there an option available to pass-over the password to OpenConnect
> without further user prompt as well? For example by extending the upper
> command like
>
> "--user=<username> --password=<password> <VPN-host>"?

You can use `echo "$PASSWORD" | openconnect --passwd-on-stdin`.

Passing passwords via command-line arguments is inherently insecure,
because any process running on the system can see the command-line
arguments (in `/proc/*/cmdline` on Linux). There are some tricks to
overwrite the visible options, but they don't work on all OSes, and
suffer from race conditions.

Dan