Connecting to Pulse Secure results in SSL

I've found a few others reporting this problem, but no resolution. When
connecting to a pulse secure endpoint, authentication is successful (I
can see the DSID cookie in the http traffic), but when openconnect
tries to establish the VPN connection I get:

Read 3 bytes of SSL record
< 0000: 01 00 08
Server response to hostname packet is error 0x08
Creating SSL connection failed

I initially tried 7.08 from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories. When that
didn't work I compiled from source so I have:
openconnect --version
OpenConnect version v7.08-125-g31b5c4a
Using OpenSSL. Features present: TPM (OpenSSL ENGINE not present), HOTP
software token, TOTP software token, DTLS, ESP
Supported protocols: anyconnect (default), nc, gp

I've tried configuring the host checker software and altering my os
param, but always get the same error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.