Connecting to Pulse Secure results in SSL

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:13 PM, Brandon Liles <brandon.liles at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've found a few others reporting this problem, but no resolution. When
> connecting to a pulse secure endpoint, authentication is successful (I
> can see the DSID cookie in the http traffic), but when openconnect
> tries to establish the VPN connection I get:
>
> Read 3 bytes of SSL record
> < 0000: 01 00 08
> Server response to hostname packet is error 0x08
> Creating SSL connection failed
>
> I initially tried 7.08 from the Ubuntu 18.04 repositories. When that
> didn't work I compiled from source so I have:
> openconnect --version
> OpenConnect version v7.08-125-g31b5c4a
> Using OpenSSL. Features present: TPM (OpenSSL ENGINE not present), HOTP
> software token, TOTP software token, DTLS, ESP
> Supported protocols: anyconnect (default), nc, gp

You get the exact same result with both v7.08 and v7.08-125-g31b5c4a?
(The newer build includes some patches I submitted which makes the
Juniper connection a little more resilient in some cases.)

There was another very similar report recently:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openconnect-devel/2018-July/004954.html

> I've tried configuring the host checker software and altering my os
> param, but always get the same error.

If you're getting past the authentication and you're getting the DSID
cookie, I don't think the OS or host checker have anything to do with
this result.

It appears that some Juniper servers don't respond in the same way to
the "vestigial authentication packet" as most of them, but we don't
understand what's different about them. (At least, I don't.)

In order to figure out what's different about this server, can you
extract the DSID cookie, and run openconnect as follows (highest
logging level), and share as much as possible of the resulting log
output? Obfuscate passwords, and usernames/hostnames/IPs if you want.

    openconnect --dump-http-traffic -vvvv --protocol=nc
--cookie="DSID=...." SERVER

-Dan