Re: NNTPC: Minor 0.87.9 problems (still in 88.1

> > I still get the occaisional missing hostname. I'm going to add a test
> > for an empty string and dump what it thinks it has.
> Where did you test? Please send me a 'diff -c'.

Well, I finally inadvertently discovered it. I had added the IP address
to the log message for refused connections and discovered that when
the name is empty the address it is using is 127.0.0.1. I'm not sure
why it thinks that sometimes the connection is local as the machine it
is running on has no user accounts. If I had not taken 127.0.0.1 out
of the access file I may never have caught it.

The other odd thing is that even though nntpcached is running on a
machine outside our firewall and all connections come from the same
proxy host (the firewall), only certain people get the 'connection
refused' message since I disabled 127.0.0.1 from the access file.

Also, the error message passed to the reader on refused connection
is unsuitable for commercial use. Fortunately, many readers just
report an error and don't pass the text to the user. I'm sure some
VP would be real excited about seeing "your not good enough to be
in the access file. ack. ack" message.

nntpcache.c:617 (maybe, I've been hacking and no longer have the original)
changed:
log (("refused connect from %s",ClientHost));
to:
log (("refused connect from %s address %s",ClientHost, ClientHostAddr));

frank
--
Frank Smith  --  System Administrator         E-mail: fsmith@spec.com
Systems & Processes Engineering Corp. (SPEC)  Voice:(512) 306-1100 x154