NNTPC: no groups in the lists

Is this direct connection to news.db.com definitely working from the same
machine (IP address)?  You are getting connection refused messages, could
it be that you can only have one active connection at a time?

I also suggest removing the cache.  I may be wrong, but I've had similar
problems and that seemed to always fix them.