NNTPC: no groups in the lists

>However, I can not make it to work properly, and will blame it on
>software unless someone (hopefully, the developers, who would
>receive my client's money) explains to me what I did wrong.

It works fine on an almost exact same config on my linux box.

>Here is the list of servers I'm trying to set up for (as listed in
>servers-file):
The only thing I can think of that is differnt is that we only have three
feeds and that yours are listed in differnt orders.  You could try making
sure that the order that the news hosts and the groups to retrieve from
those hosts are listed in the same order.

>If db.com is not commented out, the following shows up in the log:
>Apr 28 21:45:17 xxx nntpcached-update[4362]: sockets.c:347:Connection
refused: could not connect to news.db.com. as DEFAULT

I do this with nntpcache (from the exact same site) and it works fine.
What is your default IP# that you are identifing your self as?

>But if news.ziplink.net (the news-server of the ISP, source of
>*-newsgroups) is present, the daemon spends quite some time merging
>active, active.times and newsgroups, only to later pretend _there
>are no news-groups available_. None. Not even those from intel and
>microsoft (sorry for my client's poor taste :) .

I have had problems adding and removed news hosts without deleting the
cache.  Try setting it up the way you want, deleteing the cache and then
restarting it.

>It is my understading, that the developers _want_ this to work, otherwise,
>I'll just set-up innd (or a similar thing).  I picked nntpcache for the
>seeming ease of setting and administering. Seems like a mistake. :(

Help seems sporadic from this list.  Sometimes it's great mostly it's
useless :-(

>P.S. The proxy machine runs FreeBSD-2.2.1 if it matters.

I belive that it's developed on FreeBSD so you shouldn't have problems there.

Adam.