NNTPC: no groups in the lists

Adam Shand said once:

> It works fine on an almost exact same config on my linux box.

Works fine on my machine at home. Damn it. Although it did not at the
beginning...

> >Here is the list of servers I'm trying to set up for (as listed in
> >servers-file):
> The only thing I can think of that is differnt is that we only have three
> feeds and that yours are listed in differnt orders.  You could try making
> sure that the order that the news hosts and the groups to retrieve from
> those hosts are listed in the same order.

Tried.

> >If db.com is not commented out, the following shows up in the log:
> >Apr 28 21:45:17 xxx nntpcached-update[4362]: sockets.c:347:Connection
> refused: could not connect to news.db.com. as DEFAULT

What can I put instead of DEFAULT? Their IP address? Or mine? Not obvious
at all, IMHO.

> I do this with nntpcache (from the exact same site) and it works fine.
> What is your default IP# that you are identifing your self as?

Machine does indeed have two -- internal and external...

> >But if news.ziplink.net (the news-server of the ISP, source of
> >*-newsgroups) is present, the daemon spends quite some time merging
> >active, active.times and newsgroups, only to later pretend _there
> >are no news-groups available_. None. Not even those from intel and
> >microsoft (sorry for my client's poor taste :) .

> I have had problems adding and removed news hosts without deleting the
> cache.  Try setting it up the way you want, deleteing the cache and then
> restarting it.

Khmmm... Will try. Would not you expect a warning in this case from the
software that logs 4 lines for failing connection?..

> Help seems sporadic from this list.  Sometimes it's great mostly it's
> useless :-(

Will see...

Still, little news-server seems to be a better alternative. I expected
the proxy to be easy to set-up/maintain. It is not. And the server is
better in that it does allows off-line Usenet reading for the users (when
the LAN is not connected to the world).

Thanks!

	-mi