NNTPC: Is nntpcache ready for heavy use?

I'm net admin for a company that will be selling franchised ISPs.  We're
just about ready to go online for testing.

I have an INN installation ready to go, but am very seriously considering
using nntpcache instead (with INN just doing our local groups).  I've done
a lot of testing at home using Linux on a minimal machine, and it seems to
do an excellent job.

What would be an optimal hardware to run this on a dedicated machine?

It seems to me the biggest demand is on memory.  Also since hard-drive
thrashing during heavy use is undesirable, throw extra ram so it can cache
the drive.

I'm figuring on something like:

Pentium 200mhz
Linux 2.0.27
5 gigs of HD (a single 4 gig platter dedicated to NNTPC)
64 megs of RAM

What would be an optimal configuration?

I'd like to have news "refresh" every 2 hours (max) so it looks like we
are getting a continuous feed.  I'd also like to cache as much as possible
since I'll have the disk to handle it.

Other than pulling 2 files from 1.0.3 to compile, is 1.0.5 giving anyone
problems?

I noticed a post on the list archive saying that history files got blown
out with an "_" character in the path. . .  Is this fixed now?

Thanks for the info,

Ken Eves
cyberw4@cyberworldcafe.com