Re: NNTPC: Some problems with 0.92.8UL

Herbert Xu said:

> These should be fixed with my patch
> 	ftp://greathan.apana.org.au/pub/nntpcache/nntpcache-0.92.8UL.patch
> Please try it but don't forget to get rid of your existing xover files
> first.

Herbet, as you seem to be running nntpcache with linux, with seemingly minor
problems, can you tell me what config options you are using.

I've been trying to set up a nntpcache server to replace our student news feed
(as 99% of the articles never get read). I've been exprimenting on a machine
with 32MB ram and 60MB swap, and the newsdump perl script to create an
artificial load. I've found that with 0.92.x the nntpcached child process
always ends up eating all available ram and swap. It was OK with 0.88.5, but
that release had other significant bugs that make it unusable. I suspect a
per article leak, which normally isn't a problem as the client disconnects
regularly but as newsdump reads every article of several groups at a time
the leak turns into a flood...

I can send my modified newsdump script if anyone wants to use it. It has
a usefull side effect of priming the cache :-)

--
Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>