Another dumb novice problem

I'm still testing/evaluating nntpcache. It seems to be working, except
that the newgroups command isn't working.

When I send the newgroups command I get the response:

501 newgroups yymmdd hhmmss ["GMT"] [<distributions>]

I get this even when I telnet into port 119 on the server and carefully
set up what looks like a correct newgroups command viz:

newgroups 010401 120000

What stupid thing have I done this time?

Dave