Please Advise Me

Currently the organisation for whom I'm working have three separate news
servers, each at a different site in a different European country. Each of
these servers has a different news supplier. There are, in total, about
3,500 users of the news service.

I've been asked to reorganise this news infrastructure with one main
server, getting its news from a single source, and 3, or 4, news cache
servers, one at each of the different sites.

The initial plan was to set up a main INN server, and run NNTPCache on the
site machines. but reading the documentation I have come to believe that
it would be possible to do this using only NNTPCache. Am I right? If so,
would we be better to use a central cache server and four site caches,or
could we dispense with the central server altogether?

Can you also give me an idea of what size machines we're looking at for
the caches? We'll be using SUN hardware running Solaris 8.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Smith