Strange nntpcache problem

Hi folks,

I have a small problem with getting nntpcache to work properly.  It's
exhibiting some strange effects with the news readers.  I hope that by
posting here, A) My problem will be solved by some guru and B) someone
else may also have their problem relieved, as I've found no hints on
what the problem may be in the docs, and I'm sure this in not the first/last
time this will happen!  :)

I recently installed nntpcache on our system (linux 1.2.13), with the intent
of providing our people behind our proxy server with news from an nntp
host off site.  However, not all is working as I expected.  I've been
getting some curious problems, depending on which news reader I use:

NETSCAPE:  This appears to work fine with the initial 3 groups that are
included with the netscape distribution (one of which is news.answers).
It works fine - you can read and post articles (well I assume you can post).
However, when you go to select "Show All Newsgroups" ('cause those three
are just not enough!), netscape will actually crash - every time, on
PCs, Macs and UNIX boxes.  Sounds like a bug in Netscape, eh?  I thought so
to until...

MICROSOFT INTERNET NEWS:  It will not pick up any other newsgroup, except
for the bogus group nntpcache.stats.  All other newsreaders I've tried
behave the same as this.

This is why I think the problem lies with my nntpcache setup.  I've given
access to 192.0.0.* (our internal network) and to localhost for all
newsgroups (*).  My servers file is basically:

#                                                                       /* timeouts *\
# Newsgroup pattern	host		port	Who to connect as	Actives Other
*			a.news.host	119	our.box's.ip.address	12h     24h

If anyone has any suggests, comments, or corrections, I'd LOVE to hear from
you via the mailing list about this!

Many thanks,
Jason Kempnich.