flaws in 0.87.7

   The latest version has som serious problems parsing articles.  My
syslog is getting huge with 'cannot glue message parts together' and
'article.c 90 error parsing xref' followed by the xref line (really
lineS, since they are 1000 or so characters). If it thinks that entire
glob is the xref, it does have problems, because after what I see as
xrefs are two ^Ms followed by the text of the article  (until it hits
its length limit). The text it doesn't like really doesn't belong in
LOG_WARNING level, it should probably be LOG_DEBUG. Maybe two syslogs
would be better, or write the offending articles to a file in the spool
instead.
   Also, my top spool directory has in it subdirectories such as 05
and 03 that contain files with names that look like times (such as
22:35) that are really articles that sould be in some of the real
directories which also exist with article numbers as filenames.
   I second the comment about POSTing resulting in an error from all
subsequent GROUP commands.
   It would be nice if you included a CHANGES file with each release,
and a note on what would need to be done to upgrade (such as wipe
out the spool when you change history formats).
   nntpcache has never worked with trn (probably due to it's very
aggressive nature towards chasing xrefs and it's pickyness about
highwaters never being reported as less than last article read. As
a result, trn always complains about every group being reset, even
ones not yet read while it chases xrefs on the group you are reading.
knews doesn't mind the bogus highwaters, but after reading the groups
it will say there are no new articles upon rescan, yet selecting a
group will show new articles if they exist. This supports my bogus
hihwater theory.
   I hope you can get the bugs worked out, as it certainly fills a need
for sites such as mine that get news through slow links, but it is not
anywhere near reliable enough for real use (and purchase).

frank

--
Frank Smith  --  System Administrator         E-mail: fsmith@spec.com
Systems & Processes Engineering Corp. (SPEC)  Voice:(512) 306-1100 x154