Re: NNTPC: flaws in 0.87.7

[re, xrefs]

Fixed in 0.87.8.

>    Also, my top spool directory has in it subdirectories such as 05
> and 03 that contain files with names that look like times (such as
> 22:35) that are really articles that sould be in some of the real
> directories which also exist with article numbers as filenames.

This looks like a problem with syslog() overwriting memory. Not entirely
(i.e the file names) suprising when you consider that this very
bug (syslog() not bounds checking) was used in the 8lgm sendmail8 exploit.

At the moment I'm writing some internal, levelable logging mechanisms ala
sendmail. The tricks I've had to pull with CPP to do this elegantly,
you wouldn't believe.

>    I second the comment about POSTing resulting in an error from all
> subsequent GROUP commands.

Haven't noticed this, but it should be simple enough to fix.

>    It would be nice if you included a CHANGES file with each release,
> and a note on what would need to be done to upgrade (such as wipe
> out the spool when you change history formats).

Good idea. Everything is CVS'd but the CVS "changes" log is unforunately
too large and technical.

> knews doesn't mind the bogus highwaters, but after reading the groups
> it will say there are no new articles upon rescan, yet selecting a
> group will show new articles if they exist. This supports my bogus
> hihwater theory.

nntpcache doesn't support the next/prev command on cached groups yet.
If trn uses them, this maybe you are seeing the behavior you describe.

>    I hope you can get the bugs worked out, as it certainly fills a need
> for sites such as mine that get news through slow links, but it is not
> anywhere near reliable enough for real use (and purchase).

As long as the version number is 0.* and the distribution is covered with
"development version, use at own risk" we don't expect commercial sites to
licence nntpcache, or to get hot & snooty about bugs or missing features.

Further, if we don't know something isn't working, we are unlikely to
fix it. PLEASE tell us if you have problems and we shall do our best to
rectify them.

nntpcache works very well here, and I know that for many people it has meant
the difference between having a full news feed or no news feed, let alone
local groups and the time and bandwidth issues addressed. This is the main
reason we have let the development version out of the bag. I'm reminded
of the asprin trials on cardiovascular disease that took place in the US
during the 1980's. Half way through the researchers threw up their hands
and said "Fuck it. This drug works so well it would be criminal not to turn
the controls into subjects".

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons