Re: NNTPC: Problem

On 08/25/00 09:38:26 +0100, Haji, Mohmed wrote:

> When you say connect properly to a server, I assume you mean, have it
> listed in nntpcache.servers (whiich I have done).
>
> Any more ideas anyone?

First, please read this:

Second, you looking at the problem from the perspective of a user.. you
need to figure out what's going on with the server; it's obviously not
'telnet' that is having the problem.  Try to do manually what nntpcache
goes through on startup: as the news user (not root!) on your server, try
to read the config files. Try to write out an article to the spool. Try to
connect to your upstream via telnet. If you connect, try to issue NNTP
commands like 'mode reader' 'group rec.music.ambient' etc.

Learn how to use gdb. Download ethereal (http://ethereal.zing.org) and
capture traffic to and from your news server. Intelligent use of these two
tools WILL make the problem visible, and probably obvious. Watch your
logfiles (I like xtail running in a 200-cols-by-15-lines aterm).. have fun.

-=Eric