Re: NNTPC: wide spread y2k lossage

> Some servers (e.g typhoon) have moved over to use yyyymmdd format for
> newnews/newgroups. typhoon is broken using yymmdd. several newsreaders
> are sending 100mmdd, or correctly sending yymmdd. It's all round
> lossage. nntpcache doesn't massage the date communicated between
> client and server for newnews or back again, although it does for
> newgroups (and prevents some y2k brokeness in that manner). list
> ACTIVE.TIMES output and intepretation may also be broken on a number
> of newsservers / readers.

> Anyone else see any variation on this theme?

In our environment we've seen a number of date-format-related issues
regarding newnews since Jan.1.  We're running NNTPCache 2.3 on Tru64 Unix
(Compaq-cum-Digital) 4.0E, with a limited amount of usage from throughout
the system; most users are using either Netscape or Outlook Express as
their newsreader.  We are proxying exclusively a server from our upstream
(Qwest) that runs Breeze.  The most common error we get in Netscape is an
alert box with the message

Error!  News server responded: yymmdd hhmmss ["GMT"] [<distributions>]

This has, however, only happened with selected newsgroups.  I'm assuming
that since typhoon and breeze are the same company's product, that the
architectural issue for typhoon is probably to blame for this as well.

Any thoughts or workarounds would be appreciated.  Is there a plan to add a
"massaging" feature to account for this before 2.4-release?

   Jeff D. Almeida, M.S.
   UNIX Server Analyst
   Connecticut State University System Office
   39 Woodland St.   Hartford, CT  06105
   V: (860) 493-0177    F: (860) 493-0026
   almeidaj@sysoff.ctstateu.edu