Re: NNTPC: Local newsgroups

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your response.

> > I know this is probably a real dumb question. I've read the faqs and help test
> > I can find, but the solution still evades me.
> >
> > I want to have local newsgroups as well as newsgroups from an uplink. I want
> > users using the web to be able to access (rw), articles via their mwindows mail
> > clients (not by loggin into the server with a shell account.
>
>   Uhh... I guess you mean "the internet", not "the web"... if you want to
> read news over the web, you need a nntp-http gateway.  Usenet is read with
> a news reader, not mail software, unless you are using a nntp-smtp
> gateway.
Sorry, I meant a news reader. Anything like free agent, netscape, MSIE, opera
or any of the other millions of readers out there. So I actually meant "the
web".

Personally, I'm using the mail reader that comes with Netscape Communicator.

>   You need to setup a NNTP server to handle the local groups.
Such as? Isn't this what nntpcache is?

> configure NNTPcache to merge in groups from your local server.  There are
> lots of examples in nntpcache.servers
My eyes are sore from reading these files. I still don't understand what to do.

--
cheers,

Phillip Morgan,

        email: admin@ehcs.com.au         fax (03) 9876 5294