Re: NNTPC: Local newsgroups

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Phillip Morgan wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> > > I know this is probably a real dumb question. I've read the faqs and help test
> > > I can find, but the solution still evades me.
> > >
> > > I want to have local newsgroups as well as newsgroups from an uplink. I want
> > > users using the web to be able to access (rw), articles via their mwindows mail
> > > clients (not by loggin into the server with a shell account.
> >
> >   Uhh... I guess you mean "the internet", not "the web"... if you want to
> > read news over the web, you need a nntp-http gateway.  Usenet is read with
> > a news reader, not mail software, unless you are using a nntp-smtp
> > gateway.
> Sorry, I meant a news reader. Anything like free agent, netscape, MSIE, opera
> or any of the other millions of readers out there. So I actually meant "the
> web".

  The web is http.  You mean the Internet.  The web is a specific
Internet application.

> Personally, I'm using the mail reader that comes with Netscape Communicator.
>
> >   You need to setup a NNTP server to handle the local groups.
> Such as? Isn't this what nntpcache is?

  No, nntpcache is an NNTP cache, so it needs to be slaved to one or more
full NNTP servers.

  INN is a common NNTP news server.  As is Breeze
(http://www.highwind.com), Typhoon, etc.

> > configure NNTPcache to merge in groups from your local server.  There are
> > lots of examples in nntpcache.servers
> My eyes are sore from reading these files. I still don't understand what to do.

  See the bit for "microsoft.*"?  Copy that.  Change "microsoft.*" to the
name of your hierarchy, and msnews.microsoft.com to the name of your news
server (remember, msnews.microsoft.com is listed both in the "groups"
section and in the "servers" section of nntpcache.servers).  Thats all.

> --
> cheers,
>
> Phillip Morgan,

Tom