Re: NNTPC: Local newsgroups

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Phillip Morgan wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I know this is probably a real dumb question. I've read the faqs and help test
> I can find, but the solution still evades me.
>
> I want to have local newsgroups as well as newsgroups from an uplink. I want
> users using the web to be able to access (rw), articles via their mwindows mail
> clients (not by loggin into the server with a shell account.

  Uhh... I guess you mean "the internet", not "the web"... if you want to
read news over the web, you need a nntp-http gateway.  Usenet is read with
a news reader, not mail software, unless you are using a nntp-smtp
gateway.

> I'm running slackware linux v2.0.34, nntpcache 1.0.7.1.
>
> I've tried lots of things, none of which worked (I'm ashamed to say what they
> are 'cause they're probably so far off base I'd look more foolish).
>
> Could someone please help.

  You need to setup a NNTP server to handle the local groups.  Then
configure NNTPcache to merge in groups from your local server.  There are
lots of examples in nntpcache.servers

> --
> cheers,
>
> Phillip Morgan,