Re: NNTPC: Requirements for nntpcache

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 yoper@yoper.com wrote:

> My Company is planning to use nntpcache on a larger scale. What is the
> ideal technical specification for a Linux Box that should serve up to
> 10000 clients (probably not more than 100 connections at the same time
> though). I have the following core - idea:
>
> Pentium II 400 - Good Motherboard
> Adaptec 2940 UW Controller
> UW Seagate HDs probably 2x9 GIG (maybe software raid :)

  I would use more smaller hard drives, because the drives will be seek
bound not throughput bound.  It is much better to have 4 heads seeking
than just two.

> Debian Linux (or redhat ????)
>
> Or is this too much ??? What are your experiences on a medium size ISP
> level?

  What about RAM?  Kind of a critical component.  I would put in lots for
100 connections.  256MB would be good.  Could probably get away with
128MB.

  nntpcache uses little CPU actually.

> INN would run on another box (our existent News server). This server would
> hold our local groups and get country-wide postings from peerings we have
> with other ISPs. Local Groups would then be accessible through this server
> via nntpcache, whose main link would be to a big News Provider in the US.
>
> 1.) What are the best expiry settings for the various nntpcache - feeds
> (especially the main one).

  Depends on what you want.  Also do not confuse timeouts with expiration,
as many do.  All expiration controls are in nntpcache.config, and timeout
controls are in nntpcache.servers

> 2.) What is the minimum caching server spec?

  Very little.

> 3.) Any specific preference on redhat or debian or any other Linux

  Linux and nntpcache is troublesome.  I would go another way.  Linux
distributions with libc6/glibc don't expire properly without some tweaking
(see archives).

> 4.) Any other tips
>
> Any help is not only highly welcome, but very much appreciated :)
>
> regards
>
> Andreas P. Hamberger, M.A.

Tom