Requirements for nntpcache

My Company is planning to use nntpcache on a larger scale. What is the
ideal technical specification for a Linux Box that should serve up to
10000 clients (probably not more than 100 connections at the same time
though). I have the following core - idea:

Pentium II 400 - Good Motherboard
Adaptec 2940 UW Controller
UW Seagate HDs probably 2x9 GIG (maybe software raid :)
Debian Linux (or redhat ????)

Or is this too much ??? What are your experiences on a medium size ISP
level?

INN would run on another box (our existent News server). This server would
hold our local groups and get country-wide postings from peerings we have
with other ISPs. Local Groups would then be accessible through this server
via nntpcache, whose main link would be to a big News Provider in the US.

1.) What are the best expiry settings for the various nntpcache - feeds
(especially the main one).
2.) What is the minimum caching server spec?
3.) Any specific preference on redhat or debian or any other Linux
4.) Any other tips

Any help is not only highly welcome, but very much appreciated :)

regards

Andreas P. Hamberger, M.A.