SEGV for clients/servers on anything but localhost

A further update to my problem.

I've solved 1 problem, it seems that INN segfaults on
list newsgroups if there's no etc/newsgroups file

I now have nntpcache talking happily to the localhost
INN, and localhost readers.

Whenever I connect to another host, or connect as a client
from another machine, that nntpcache task SEGVs.

Upon debugging the client, I see the process get up to

src/acc.c: getAuth ()

	if ((hp = gethostbyaddr ((char *) &remote_sin.sin_addr, sizeof (remote_sin.sin_addr), AF_INET)))

and then I see a SEGV logged.

I don't get a core file.

(Interestingly enough I didn't see the segv logged until I
added a logd(()) into the segv signal handler.)

I assume that similar is happening when talking to no localhost
servers.

I'm running linux-2.0.33
gcc-2.8.0
glibc-2.0.6  (linux libc-6.0)

I'm wondering if it's some compatibility issue
with using glibc-2.0.