Re: NNTPC: minor stuff in 2.3.2

> 7 items...
>
> 1: having kill -HUP both toggle debugging _and_ reread the config
> file is awkward. Moving one to -INT would be a good move.

debug toggling *is* on -INT. If -HUP is toggling it as well, it
shouldn't be.

> 3: Is anyone else observing wierd permissions on cache.base from
> time to time?

This is fixed in 2.3.3 (not released yet). For your information,
this is because of an evil typo in nntpcache.c. search for "0x664"
and change it to "0664"

> 4: cache.mmap managed to be corrupted somewhow in the last couple
> of days. I assume it's because /var/spool/news/ ran out of space.

It's possible. cache.mmap on create is that largest it will ever
be, however it is a *sparse* file to begin with.

> 5: (related). If nntpcached starts an expire run and the master
> server dies, a new master server cannot be started until the expire
> process has finished or is killed. It took ~20 hours to clear out
> 5Gb space from my spool, which had users bitching loudly.

The master server should never die :) killing an expire half way though
should be harmless.

> 6: spam.filter. Anyone got a working spam.filter?
>
> I had an extended filter I thought was OK, but 2.2 onwards refuse
> to start if it's in place. I've had to fall back to the distributed
> one. The non-working one is available for inspection and ridicule
> at ftp://news.manawatu.gen.nz/pub/news/spam.filter

I can't seem access this esteemed ftp site. Can you tell me what the
complaints were about yoru old filters, post 2.2?

> 7: Syslogging Debug messages.
>
> Here's my config. I haven't hupped the server, yet I'm getting
> mountains of syslog debug messages. System is Linux 2.0.33-i386-elf
> (slackware 3.4), dillon's crond

Examine the web server and see what it says about the various log types
being on or off. (I just reviewed the log code and it all looks a-ok).

Cheers,
Julian.