minor stuff in 2.3.2

7 items...

1: having kill -HUP both toggle debugging _and_ reread the config
file is awkward. Moving one to -INT would be a good move.

2: Setting up ftp.nntpcache.org to return current server versions
as a finger response would be useful and might reduce network
bandwidth a bit (similar to finger @ftp.kernel.org for Linuxen)

3: Is anyone else observing wierd permissions on cache.base from
time to time?

4: cache.mmap managed to be corrupted somewhow in the last couple
of days. I assume it's because /var/spool/news/ ran out of space.

End result was cryptic log messages and a nntpcached which kept
exiting. I only killed cache.mmap because there was nothing else
left to remove and nntpcached immediately started running happily.

5: (related). If nntpcached starts an expire run and the master
server dies, a new master server cannot be started until the expire
process has finished or is killed. It took ~20 hours to clear out
5Gb space from my spool, which had users bitching loudly.

6: spam.filter. Anyone got a working spam.filter?

I had an extended filter I thought was OK, but 2.2 onwards refuse
to start if it's in place. I've had to fall back to the distributed
one. The non-working one is available for inspection and ridicule
at ftp://news.manawatu.gen.nz/pub/news/spam.filter

7: Syslogging Debug messages.

Here's my config. I haven't hupped the server, yet I'm getting
mountains of syslog debug messages. System is Linux 2.0.33-i386-elf
(slackware 3.4), dillon's crond

logFromClient   yes
logToClient     no
logFromServer   no
logToServer     yes

# (if you're reading from a bunch of servers you'll need these off)
logListMerge    no
logListMergeCorrelation no

logDebug        no
logInfo         yes
logWarnings     yes
logErrors       yes

Syslog.conf (Linuxen):

*.=info;*.=notice;news,mail.none        -/usr/adm/messages
*.=debug;news,mail.none                 -/usr/adm/debug
*.warn;news,mail.none                   -/usr/adm/syslog

news.=crit      -/var/spool/news/log.files/news.crit
news.=err       -/var/spool/news/log.files/news.err
news.=notice    -/var/spool/news/log.files/news.notice
news.=info      -/var/spool/news/log.files/news.info
news.=debug     -/var/spool/news/log.files/news.debug

The "-" just tells syslogd not to fsync() after each syslog
message.  This saves a lot of cpu and disk activity on busy boxes.

/var/spool/news/log.files/ is off on its own disk.

AB