Re: NNTPC: Active File

> Upon startup or a SIGHUP it will completely reread the active file from the
> upstream news server. Is that REALLY necessary? It certainly uses a lot of
> bandwidth.

nntpcached is meant to be a long-lived process. You shouldn't be starting
it up and shuting it down all the time. You can adjust the refetch period
in your servers configuration.

> However, I have a bigger problem with this. We want to block all the sicko
> groups and a large number of the alt.binaries.pictures groups. The access
> file allows you to block certain newsgroups, which is a good thing.
> However, because the active file is completely reread at startup those
> groups will always be VISIBLE to the end user. The end user can still seem
> them and when they try to access one of these blocked groups they get a
> message about accessing being denied.

Add a "strip" flag to the group flags. e.g

*		*pictures*	deny,strip

Read the comments in nntpcache.config for more information on how deny and strip
work with each other.

Cheers,
Julian.