Re: Handling I2C eeprom devices

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 7:35 AM Patryk <pbiel7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've got a question regarding how to handle I2C eeprom devices. I see
> that in the kernel/drivers/misc/eeprom there are not that many drivers
> available. Does it mean that they support various chips that do not
> necessarily come from one vendor?
> Looking at example at24.c, in the compatible properties I see that all
> of them refers to atmel, however when I compared the following
> devices: AT24C04C and BRCB008GWZ, at the first glance they look kinda
> similar:
> - they are organized internally in the same way - 1024 x 8 (8K)
> - read/write commands looks the same
>
> I'm not asking you to tell me whether or not it's possible this driver
> at24 with the device I need (BRCB008GWZ), rather I would like to get a
> suggestion on how to approach this and what factors I should take into
> account to make the right decision.
>
> Best regards
> Patryk

$ git ls-files | grep eprom | wc -l
89
[jimc@frodo linux.git]$ git ls-files | grep eprom\.h | wc -l
29
[jimc@frodo linux.git]$ git ls-files | grep eprom  | grep include
arch/parisc/include/asm/eisa_eeprom.h
arch/sparc/include/asm/eeprom.h
drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/include/rtw_eeprom.h
include/linux/eeprom_93cx6.h
include/linux/eeprom_93xx46.h
include/linux/spi/eeprom.h
include/media/tveeprom.h

Id look at those headers for similarity,
then the 2 c files in misc for similarity.

also the files under devicetree - thats ALL interface defn

you didnt say if those parts are I2C or SPI or what.

do you have the hardware ?