Re: when/how is the schedule() function actually called?

On 08/12/23 11:51 pm, Dawei Li wrote:
> Hi Valdis,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me!
> I should've looked into newer versions. (Was looking at 2.6.34 because the
> latest book I have on linux kernel, Linux
> Kernel Development, 3rd Edition by Robert Love, is based on that version.)
>
> I do have the same question for the latest version.
> Here:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/4df7c5fde316820286dfa6d203a1005d7fbe007d/kernel/sched/core.c#L5632
> the scheduler_tick() is calling curr->sched_class->task_tick(rq, curr, 0);
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/4df7c5fde316820286dfa6d203a1005d7fbe007d/kernel/sched/core.c#L5651
> This is calling entity_tick(),
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/4df7c5fde316820286dfa6d203a1005d7fbe007d/kernel/sched/fair.c#L5447
> and then resched_curr(),
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/4df7c5fde316820286dfa6d203a1005d7fbe007d/kernel/sched/core.c#L1040
>
> As the comment says, resched_curr() is still just setting the need_resched
> flag on a uniprocessor.
> It is not calling the schedule() function.
> When/how is the schedule() function actually called?
I believe it's called at the code path (kernel -> user) and (kernel -> kernel)

Here, it'll be at return from the interrupt context.

Checkout point 2. in the following comment snippet found above __schedule()
method in kernel/sched/core.c

/*
 * __schedule() is the main scheduler function.
 *
 * The main means of driving the scheduler and thus entering this function are:
 *
 *   1. Explicit blocking: mutex, semaphore, waitqueue, etc.
 *
 *   2. TIF_NEED_RESCHED flag is checked on interrupt and userspace return
 *      paths. For example, see arch/x86/entry_64.S.
 *
 *      To drive preemption between tasks, the scheduler sets the flag in timer
 *      interrupt handler scheduler_tick().
 *
 *   3. Wakeups don't really cause entry into schedule(). They add a
 *      task to the run-queue and that's it.
 *
 *      Now, if the new task added to the run-queue preempts the current
 *      task, then the wakeup sets TIF_NEED_RESCHED and schedule() gets
 *      called on the nearest possible occasion:
 *
 *       - If the kernel is preemptible (CONFIG_PREEMPTION=y):
 *
 *         - in syscall or exception context, at the next outmost
 *           preempt_enable(). (this might be as soon as the wake_up()'s
 *           spin_unlock()!)
 *
 *         - in IRQ context, return from interrupt-handler to
 *           preemptible context
 *
 *       - If the kernel is not preemptible (CONFIG_PREEMPTION is not set)
 *         then at the next:
 *
 *          - cond_resched() call
 *          - explicit schedule() call
 *          - return from syscall or exception to user-space
 *          - return from interrupt-handler to user-space
 *
 * WARNING: must be called with preemption disabled!
 */
static void __sched notrace __schedule(unsigned int sched_mode)