Re: Are there some potential problems that I should be aware of if I allocate the memory which doesn't have any relation to peripheral hardwares(i.e. DMA, PCI, serial port and etc) by vmalloc() instead of kmalloc()?

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 01:16:50PM +0800, 孙世龙 sunshilong wrote:
> >So as per the above - you allocate one struct array at driver load time for
> >this stuff.  You already know how big the structure/array has to be based on
> >the maximum number of devices or whatever you're trying to track.
> >And if you don't know the maximum, you're not doing real time programming. Or
> >at least not correctly.
> Not at the driver load time, but the load time of the real-time
> process(i.e. before
> the entry of the main() function). It needs to allocate(i.e. use
> vmalloc) a huge memory
> (i.e. for example 80MB, maybe 50MB (how much memory is suitable is decided by
> the specific applications.) used by the user application later. And
> that's ok to allocate
> so huge memory size by vmalloc() and no error complained by the kernel.

Applications do not allocate kernel memory at all, that's up to a kernel
driver.  Userspace does things in totally different ways.

Again, do you have a pointer to your kernel source code that is doing
this allocation that is failing?

thanks,

greg k-h