Re: the cost of EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 14:48:36 +0200, Tomek The Messenger said:

> This is the case about which Martin write shortly. Then let's assume on
> another soc reset reason is not stored in chip's address space memory
> mapped to address 0xfff.... but it is accessed via some spi operation. On
> another soc reset reason is still memory mapped but to different address
> 0xfff... And then let's assume there are 30-40 such functionalities like
> reset_reason.

Or you could hire hardware engineers who don't create designs that
look like they were done by crack-addicted howler monkeys, but instead
did sane designs that were easier to program. You know, like being
consistent with whether the registers are SPI or not, and so on.

> If we have one unique sysfs interface then it is easier for
> everyone: tester, developer to proceed with such device, testing or
> debugging.

No - not really.  Because if you're mapping 3 or 4 SOC resets reasons to
one thing, you then have to write code that says "If it's SoC 1, then
a bit 12 being set was a memory error, but if it's SOC 2 bit 12 means a
PCI bus reset and a memory parity error is bit 17, but a memory ECC
error is bit 4."

And if the meaning of the reset register is different, a lot of *other* things
are probably different too, which is an argument for just having separate
drivers for each SoC.