Re: looking for corrections/enhancements/omissions for LKD3

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Hi Rob...
>
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 19:34, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  i'll see what i can do. :-)  anyway, this is where i'm going to
> > track this stuff:
>
> Well, that's just my wishlist, so it's up to you whether you wanna
> do me a favour or not. BTW, have you tried to consult other Linux
> kernel related list like kernel janitor too?

  no, since this isn't really a "janitor" type project, it's just to
collect observations on the book.

> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3
>
> yay, I am the first there :)

  only until someone else finds an update on an earlier page. :-)

> > this is a totally unofficial page, i just want to keep up with
> > changes for when LKD4 comes out. :-)  so i might as well start
> > documenting changes now.  and, as you can see, i'll give credit to
> > all reporters.

> Well, tracking changes are good IMO, but I suggest you just pick the
> most significant ones.
>
> The criterias could be something like:
> - whether it affects latency
> - whether it improves graphic card improvement
> - whether it changes how scheduling works
> etc....

  i don't want to get too carried away in the sense of documenting
*everything* newer in the kernel, just (for now) new developments that
would alter/update the content of the book in some way.

> NB: Does LKD3 mention about Kernel Same page Merge (KSM)? No need to
> be deep, but I think it's interesting to mention it since it will
> reduce memory consumption done by virtual machine/hypervisor (KVM,
> for example).

  if you want to suggest stuff like that, also suggest exactly where
in the book it would belong.  then it makes sense to include it.  and
if it's appropriate, a reference to the git commit that introduced it
would also be cool.

  anyway, use your personal judgment and either post under this thread
or email me, whatever you prefer.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca