Re: call_usermodehelper API : Getting back stdio

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Alison Chaiken <alchaiken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vikas writes:
>>  1) “ pci_host1_shell#  ./custom_command ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.y”
>> configures IP on PCIe card
>
> I don't understand why you'd want to configure IP on a PCIe card.
> Are you going to use a netlink socket to communicate with the card
> from userspace?   But then you don't need a four-dot address.
>
> The PCIe driver I've been trying to port creates a /dev file.   The
> card puts data intended for userspace in the /dev file via DMA and
> notifies the kernel via an interrupt.   The interrupt handler informs
> userspace that data is ready and the user process then uses a read on
> the /dev file descriptor to access it.   As far as I understand it,
> the procedure this driver is using is a relatively standard one.
>
> I guess that your driver is for a network card, Vikas?    But even so,
> you don't want to associate a four-dot address with the card itself
> but with a socket associated with it.   The explanation of how to
> perform this sequence of tasks from user space in the Matthew and
> Stones book that Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar recommended is quite
> instructive in this regard.
>
> --
> Alison Chaiken
> (650) 279-5600  (cell)
>              http://www.exerciseforthereader.org/
> Standards should be recorded after they've emerged.   -- Jeff Lindsay

Alison
The  PCIe card runs linux OS and is used for network/security/storage
applications to offload computation from PCI host.  I am trying to
have a tool on PCI host  which can launch any userspace
linux-administration commands on the PCIe card's linux.  IP address
configuration was one example. I am exploring possibility of
developing a general interface, where linux on PCIe card :
1) Receives "commands arg1 arg2 arg3 ....."    from PCIe host.  I
already have mechanism to send all this FROM PCI host.
2) Executes the user pace command.  "call_usermodehelper ??"
3) Capture the results of command execution and return back the
results/errors.  Can  "call_usermodehelper"   do this ?
4) Returns the execution result and errors back to PCI host.   I
already have in-kernel mechanism to send all this TO PCI host.

thanks
vikas