Re: call_usermodehelper API : Getting back stdio

Vikas writes:
>  1) “ pci_host1_shell#  ./custom_command ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.y”
> configures IP on PCIe card

I don't understand why you'd want to configure IP on a PCIe card.
Are you going to use a netlink socket to communicate with the card
from userspace?   But then you don't need a four-dot address.

The PCIe driver I've been trying to port creates a /dev file.   The
card puts data intended for userspace in the /dev file via DMA and
notifies the kernel via an interrupt.   The interrupt handler informs
userspace that data is ready and the user process then uses a read on
the /dev file descriptor to access it.   As far as I understand it,
the procedure this driver is using is a relatively standard one.

I guess that your driver is for a network card, Vikas?    But even so,
you don't want to associate a four-dot address with the card itself
but with a socket associated with it.   The explanation of how to
perform this sequence of tasks from user space in the Matthew and
Stones book that Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar recommended is quite
instructive in this regard.

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)