call_usermodehelper API : Getting back stdio

Hello,
I am trying to use call_usermodehelper as described in this link
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-user-space-apps/index.html

My need is to launch commands/daemons/read-logs/dmesg  on my PCIe card
which runs Linux.  Description of usage model:
1) PCI Host is Linux / BSD or any other OS .  This machine will run a
“custom_command” to PCIe card.
2) My PCIe offload card runs linux OS.

 I want to write a general tool for my PCI host system which can :
  1.  Launch user space linux commands on PCIe card running linux.
  2. And returns me back the command status +  any STDIO  data back to PCI host.

 For example:
 1) “ pci_host1_shell#  ./custom_command ifconfig eth0 192.168.x.y”
configures IP on PCIe card
 2) “ pci_host1_shell# ./custom_command  ifconfig “  returns the
information back to host.
 3) “pci_host1_shell#  ./custom_command  dmesg” returns all the logs
back to PCI host

Question: Can I use call_usermodehelper family of APIs  to do all this ?

I already have experimented and  example 1 is working successfully.
But currently I don’t know how to get STDIO or STDERR data back
fromcall_usermodehelper().
Question: How to get the output  back from call_usermodehelper ?

 Thanks much
- vikas