Re: How to do DIRECT IO on kernel buffer

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:19 AM, Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Doesn't that mean user space right to block device? Simply based on
>> that, I can  see you fail all these times... because you do it from
>> kernel space..and that's against the very  basic meaning of direct I/O
>
> You can visualize direct I/O for two purpose:
>
> 1. Zero copy directly from user buffers to block device as you pointed out.
> 2. Don't make an extra effort to cache the data in page-cache, as it might
> have already be done by applications.
>
> In some cases, you may not afford to solve 1., e.g. you may want to
> manipulate data before writing it do target. Although this can be done on
> the same user space buffer, but you may not want to do that because it may
> change the working data set of application.
>
> Anyways, to cut it short again, I had put my requirements in my original
> mail, and I have one solution where I map pages in user space, I am looking
> for a better solution, or the verification that there is none, where I can
> directly user kernel buffers for doing non-cached I/O.
>
> Rajat

Rajat,

I'm not specifically familiar with a use-case in the kernel where the
data based in via directio call is copied to kernel buffers,
manipulated, then passed on.  Thus I seriously doubt your use-case is
supported.

Why do you want to do that in the first place?

Greg